Skip to Main Content
The forest inventory and analysis plot designAuthor(s): William Bechtold; Charles T. Scott
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-80. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station, p. 37-52
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (133.0 KB)
DescriptionAddendum: The supplementary documents referenced in this manuscript are posted on the Web site https://www.fia.fs.fed.us/library/sampling/index.php
This chapter describes the prescribed core plot2 design currently used by Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) for Phase 2 and Phase 3 ground sampling. FIA ground plots relate to the sampling frame discussed in the previous chapter as follows: One plot has been randomly located within each 6,000-acre hexagon. Each plot has been assigned to one of five panels as described in section 2.2.2. Each plot has been designated Phase 2 or Phase 3 based on the rules outlined in section 2.2.3. The center point of each plot constitutes the primary sampling unit (PSU) described in section 2.2.5. The area and vegetation data gathered on each plot serve to support and quantify the information associated with each PSU.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBechtold, William, A.; Scott, Charles T. 2005. The forest inventory and analysis plot design. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-80. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station, p. 37-52
- Sample-based estimators used by the forest inventory and analysis national information management system
- Estimating forest floor fuels in eastern U.S. forests
- A discrete global grid of photointerpretation
XML: View XML