Skip to Main Content
Focused Science Delivery makes science make sense.Author(s): Rachel W. Scheuering; Jamie Barbour
Source: Western Forester. 49(5). 3 p
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (2.21 MB)
DescriptionScience does not exist in a vacuum, but reading scientific publications might make you think it does. Although the policy and management implications of their findings could often touch a much wider audience, many scientists write only for the few people in the world who share their area of expertise. In addition, most scientific publications provide information that is more like clues than complete answers. Making science truly meaningful in the formulation and implementation of natural resource management policy requires an additional step where the clues are fit together and polished so that they tell a story we can all follow and understand. This "synthesis and integration" of the small bits of information provided by individual publications (often from a variety of disciplines), makes scientific knowledge much more available for application. This is where the Focused Science Delivery (FSD) program comes in.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationScheuering, Rachel W.; Barbour, Jamie. 2004. Focused Science Delivery makes science make sense. Western Forester. 49(5). 3 p
- Evaluating the best available social science for natural resource management decision-making
- Forest Science and forest policy in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East: Building Bridges to a sustainable future
- The urbanization of wildlife management:Social science, conflict, and decision making
XML: View XML