Skip to Main Content
Dose-Dependent Pheromone Responses of Ips pini, Orthotomicus latiden (Coleoptera: Scolytidae), and associates in stands of lodgepole pineAuthor(s): Daniel R. Miller; John H. Borden; B. Staffan Lidgren
Source: Environ. Entomol. 34(3): 591-597
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (766 KB)
DescriptionWe conducted four behavioral choice tests in stands of mature lodgepole pine in British Columbia, from 1988 to 1991, to determine the dose-dependent responses of Orthotomicus latidens (LeConte) and Ips pini (Say) to their respective pheromones. Dose-dependent responses were exhibited by I. pini to (±)-ipsdienol and lanierone, with trap catches directly proportional to pheromone release rates. We found differences in sex ration of I. pini in their resposnes to ipsdienol but not lanierone. There was no dose-dependent response exhibited by O. latidens to its pheromone. (±)-ipsenol, with or without the presence of the host kairomone, (--)-ß-phellandrene. The bark beetle predator, Enoclerus locontei (Wolcott), showed a dose-dependent response to lanierone. Thanasimus undatulus (Say) was attracted to ipsenol in a dose-dependent fashion only when traps were also baited with ß-phellandrene. Neither T. undatulus nor e. sphegeus (F.) exhibited dose-dependent responses to ipsdienol.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, Daniel R.; Borden, John H.; Lidgren, B. Staffan. 2005. Dose-Dependent Pheromone Responses of Ips pini, Orthotomicus latiden (Coleoptera: Scolytidae), and associates in stands of lodgepole pine. Environ. Entomol. 34(3): 591-597
KeywordsIps pini, Orthotomicus latidens, ipsenol, ipsdienol, lanierone
- Responses of Ips pini (Say), Pityogenes knechteli Swaine and Associated Beetles (Coleoptera) to Host Monoterpenes in Stands of Lodgepole Pine
- Dose-dependent pheromone responses of mountain pine beetle in stands of lodgepole pine
- Using pheromones to protect heat-injured lodgepole pine from mountain pine beetle infestation
XML: View XML