Skip to Main Content
Atmospheric Inputs of Mercury and Organic Carbon into a Forested Upland/Bog WatershedAuthor(s): Randall K. Kolka; E.A. Nater; D.F. Grigal; E.S. Verry
Source: Water; Air; and Soil Pollution 113: 273-294, 1999
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (525 KB)
DescriptionInputs of mercury (Hg) and dissolved organic carbon (DOC) in throughfall and stemflow waters were measured for an upland/bog watershed in northern Minnesota, and were compared to the deposition in a nearby opening to determine the influence of tree canopies on Hg and DOC deposition. Twice as much Hg and seven times as much DOC was deposited in the forested watershed compared to the opening. Mass balance studies that are based on wet-only deposition in openings severely underestimate atmospheric deposition of Hg in forests. Conifer canopies are more efficient filters of airborne particulates than are deciduous canopies as indicated by much higher Hg concentrations and total deposition in throughfall and stemflow waters under conifers. Significant positive relationships existed between Hg and DOC in both throughfall (36-57% of the variation) and stemflow waters (55-88%) of the variation). Hg complexation by DOC appears to be related to the contact time between precipitation and carbon sources.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKolka, Randall K.; Nater, E.A.; Grigal, D.F.; Verry, E.S. 1999. Atmospheric Inputs of Mercury and Organic Carbon into a Forested Upland/Bog Watershed. Water; Air; and Soil Pollution 113: 273-294, 1999
Keywordsatmospheric deposition, dissolved organic carbon, mercury, stemflow, throughfall
- Atmospheric Inputs of Mercury and Organic Carbon into a Forested Upland/Bog Watershed
- Hydrologic cycling of mercury and organic carbon in a forested upland-bog watershed
- Forest fire effects on mercury deposition in the boreal forest
XML: View XML