Skip to Main Content
Elm leaf beetle performance on ozone-fumigated elmAuthor(s): Jack H. Barger; Richard W. Hall; Alden M. Townsend; Alden M. Townsend
Source: Res. Pap. NE-661. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 9 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
View PDF (526.43 KB)
DescriptionLeaves (1986) from elm hybrids ('Pioneer', 'Homestead', '970') previously fumigated in open-top chambers with ozone or with charcoal-filtered air (CFA) were evaluated for water and nitrogen content or were fed to adult elm leaf beetles (ELB), Xanthogaleruca = (Pyrrhallta) luteola (Muller), to determine host suitability for beetle fecundity and survivorship. ELB females fed ozone-fumigated leaves laid significantly fewer eggs than females fed CFA-fumigated leaves. Leaf nitrogen or water content was unaffected. Hybrid '970' (1988) was fumigated with CFA or with ozone concentrations to determine effects on ELB fecundity, leaf consumption, and survivorship. Significantly fewer eggs were laid at the higher concentration of ozone.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBarger, Jack H.; Hall, Richard W.; Townsend, Alden M. 1992. Elm leaf beetle performance on ozone-fumigated elm. Res. Pap. NE-661. Radnor, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 9 p.
KeywordsFecundity, herbivory, survivorship, suitability, open-top chamber
- Effects of simulated acid rain, ozone and sulfur dioxide on suitability of elms for elm leaf beetle
- Suitability of thirteen different host species for elm leaf beetle, Xanthogaleruca luteola (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae)
- Novel insights into the elm yellows phytoplasma genome and into the metagenome of elm yellows-infected elms
XML: View XML