Skip to Main Content
Harvest Influences on Floodwater Properties in a Forested FloodplainAuthor(s): R.G. Clawson; B.G Lockaby; R.B. Rummer
Source: Journal of the American Water Resources Association, Vol. 25, No. 5, October 1999
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (289 KB)
DescriptionAbstract: Floodplain forests directly influence water quality by serving as sinks, sources, or transformers of nutrients. Increases in the demand for timber raise the question of how silvicultural disturbance may affect this function. The objective of this research was to compare biogeochemical relationships between undisturbed vs. disturbed conditions in a floodplain forest. A randomized complete block design consisting of three blocks and two treatments (partial harvest and undisturbed) was installed on the Flint River floodplain, Georgia. The partial cut was conducted during September-October 1993. Automated water samplers were situated to sample during flood events as sheetflow entered and exited treatment plots during the 1994, 1996 and 1996 flood seasons. Pre- vs. post-contact comparisons indicated that the undisturbed floodplain has minimal influence on water chemistry at this scale of measurement. Although the partial harvest on an 8-ha scale had minimal effect upon sheetflow water chemistry for three years following harvest, the data suggest that harvests may stimulate a minor increase in Ca and K sink activity.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationClawson, R.G.; Lockaby, B.G; Rummer, R.B. 1999. Harvest Influences on Floodwater Properties in a Forested Floodplain. Journal of the American Water Resources Association, Vol. 25, No. 5, October 1999
Keywordsfloodplain biogeochemistry, forested floodplain, silviculture, water chemistry
- Harvest influences on floodwater properties in a forested floodplain
- Influence of harvesting on biogeochemical exchange in sheetflow and soil processes in a eutrophic floodplain forest
- Flood tolerance evaluation of bottomland oaks in a multi-channel field laboratory
XML: View XML