Skip to Main Content
Light-induced yellowing of selectively 13C-enriched dehydrogenation polymers (DHPs). Part 1, Side-chain 13C-enriched DHP ([alpha], [beta], and [gamma]-13C)Author(s): Jim Parkas; Magnus Paulsson; Terashima Noritsugu; Ulla Westermark; Sally Ralph
Source: Nordic pulp and paper research journal. Vol. 19, no. 1 (2004): Pages 29-36
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (150 KB)
DescriptionLight-induced yellowing has been studied using side-chain ([alpha], [beta], and [gamma]) 13C-enriched DHP (dehydrogenation polymer) and quantitative solution state 13C NMR spectroscopy. The DHP was formed from 13C-enriched coniferin using an enzymatic system consisting of [beta]-glucosidase, glucose oxidase, and peroxidase in a pH 6 buffer solution. The DHP was applied to filter paper, irradiated with UV/VIS light and the photodegraded DHP was extracted and analyzed. The NMR study revealed a drastic decrease in the amount of coniferyl alcohol end groups with the formation of end groups of the vanillin type and small amounts of end groups of the vanillic acid type. The results indicated a moderate formation of [alpha]-carbonyls, however, no significant decrease in the amount of [beta]-O-4 structures in the extractable part of the irradiated DHP could be established, based on difference spectra corresponding to the 13C-enriched DHP.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationParkas, Jim; Paulsson, Magnus; Terashima Noritsugu; Westermark, Ulla; Ralph, Sally. 2004. Light-induced yellowing of selectively 13C-enriched dehydrogenation polymers (DHPs). Part 1, Side-chain 13C-enriched DHP ([alpha], [beta], and [gamma]-13C). Nordic pulp and paper research journal. Vol. 19, no. 1 (2004): Pages 29-36
KeywordsPhotoyellowing, DHP, dehydrogenation polymer, 13C-enrichment, 13C NMR spectroscopy
- Stability and structure in [alpha]- and [beta]-keggin heteropolytungstates, [Xn+W12O40](8-n)-, X = p-block cation
- Size-biased distributions in the generalized beta distribution family, with applications to forestry
- Historical agriculture alters the effects of fire on understory plant beta diversity
XML: View XML