Skip to Main Content
Light-induced yellowing of selectively 13C-enriched dehydrogenation polymers (DHPs). Part 2, NMR assignments and photoyellowing of aromatic ring 1-, 3-, 4-, and 5-13C DHPsAuthor(s): Jim Parkas; Magnus Paulsson; Terashima Noritsugu; Ulla Westermark; Sally Ralph
Source: Nordic pulp and paper research journal. Vol. 19, no. 1 (2004): Pages 44-52
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (186 KB)
DescriptionLight-induced yellowing of lignocellulosicmaterials has been studied using 13C-enriched DHP (dehydrogenation polymer), selectively 13C-enriched at positions 1, 3, 4, and 5 in the aromatic ring, and quantitative solution state 13C NMR spectroscopy. The NMR study confirmed the results of previous studies using side-chain labeled DHP, mainly that coniferyl alcohol end groups are degraded with the subsequent formation of a- carbonylic structures, e.g. vanillin end groups. The developed technique renders the potential to follow chemical changes of aromatic carbons 1, 3, 4, and 5, independently from each other. Although a drastic photoyellowing of the sheets was observed, definitive chemical shifts corresponding to quinoid carbons could not be discerned in the spectra. The reasons for this may be that the amount of quinoid carbons formed was too low to be detected, with the experimental setup used, or that the quinoid photoproducts, if formed, were not extractable with the solvent used or had reacted further forming non-quinoid structures.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationParkas, Jim; Paulsson, Magnus; Terashima Noritsugu; Westermark, Ulla; Ralph, Sally. 2004. Light-induced yellowing of selectively 13C-enriched dehydrogenation polymers (DHPs). Part 2, NMR assignments and photoyellowing of aromatic ring 1-, 3-, 4-, and 5-13C DHPs. Nordic pulp and paper research journal. Vol. 19, no. 1 (2004): Pages 44-52
KeywordsPhotoyellowing, DHP, dehydrogenation polymer, 13C-enrichment. NMR, chromophores, signal assignments
- Light-induced yellowing of selectively 13C-enriched dehydrogenation polymers (DHPs). Part 1, Side-chain 13C-enriched DHP ([alpha], [beta], and [gamma]-13C)
- An improved 13C-tracer method for the study of lignin structure and reactions : differential 13C-NMR
- Conundrums regarding 5–O–4- linkages in softwood MWLs
XML: View XML