Skip to Main Content
The challenge of bonding treated woodAuthor(s): Charles R. Frihart
Source: Proceedings of ICECFOP1-1st International Conference on Environmentally-Compatible Forest Products : Fernando Pessoa University, Oporto, Portugal, 22-24 September 2004. Porto, Portugal : Edicoes Universidade Fernando Pessoa, 2004: Pages 351-356
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (76 KB)
DescriptionWood products are quite durable if exposure to moisture is minimized; however, most uses of wood involve considerable exposure to moisture. To preserve the wood, chemicals are used to minimize moisture pickup, to prevent insect attack, and/or to resist microbial growth. The chemicals used as preservatives can interfere with adhesive bonds to wood. Given the many potential modes of failures and of interference with bond formation by treatment chemicals, a way to systematically analyze the problem is needed. With the use of several tests, the source of the problem can be generally identified; this information allows the adhesive supplier to understand how to systematically adjust the adhesive formulation to improve bond strength. This is important because new wood-protection chemicals continue to be developed to overcome the limitations of existing treatment chemicals.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFrihart, Charles R. 2004. The challenge of bonding treated wood. Proceedings of ICECFOP1-1st International Conference on Environmentally-Compatible Forest Products : Fernando Pessoa University, Oporto, Portugal, 22-24 September 2004. Porto, Portugal : Edicoes Universidade Fernando Pessoa, 2004: Pages 351-356
KeywordsWood bonding, treated wood, adhesives, bond strength
- Interaction of copper wood preservatives and adhesives
- Why do some wood-adhesive bonds respond poorly to accelerated moisture-resistant tests?
- What does bonding to modified wood tell us about adhesion?
XML: View XML