Skip to Main Content
Nondestructive Evaluation of Young's Moduli of Full-Size wood Laminated Composite PolesAuthor(s): Cheng Piao; Todd F. Shube; Chung Y. Hse; R.C. Tang
Source: In: Proceedings 7<sup>th</sup> Pacific Rim Bio-Based Composites Symposium, Nanjing, China, Octiber 31 - November 2, Volume 2: 291-298
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (995 KB)
DescriptionAn exploratory study was conducted to evaluate the Young's moduli of wood laminated composite poles (LCP) by using a free transverse vibration method. Full-size LCP, 6.1 m long and 10.2 cm in diameter, were lab-fabricated with 9 and/or 12 southern yellow pine [SYP] strips of thickness, 1.9 cm, 2.9 cm and 3.8 cm. The frequency of free transverse vibration in a LCP was measured via strain gages mounted on the pole surface through a StrainSmart system. Dynamic Young's moduli evaluated by the free transverse vibration method were compared to these calculated from the measured strains and both agreed very well. The free transverse vibration method can be alternative to the static bending method which is commonly used in the evaluation of bending performance of solid wood beams and wood composite poles. Theeffect of strip-thickness on the Young's Moluli of LCP was observed. However, a significant effect of strip-number on the Young's Moduli of LCP fabricated with 2.0-cm and 3.8-cm strips was not observed.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPiao, Cheng; Shube, Todd F.; Hse, Chung Y.; Tang, R.C. 2004. Nondestructive Evaluation of Young''s Moduli of Full-Size wood Laminated Composite Poles. In: Proceedings 7th Pacific Rim Bio-Based Composites Symposium, Nanjing, China, Octiber 31 - November 2, Volume 2: 291-298
KeywordsLaminated composite poles (LCP), non-destructive evaluation (NDE), free transverse vibration, Young's modulus, wood utility poles
- Mechanical properties of small-scale wood laminated composite poles
Effect of PF impregnation and surface densification on the mechanical properties of small-scale wood laminated poles
- Cantilever Beam Static and Dynamic Response Comparison with Mid-Point Bending for Thin MDF composite Panels
XML: View XML