Skip to Main Content
Nondestructive assessment of single-span timber bridges using a vibration- based methodAuthor(s): Xiping Wang; James P. Wacker; Angus M. Morison; John W. Forsman; John R. Erickson; Robert J. Ross
Source: Res. Pap. FPL-RP-627. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 15 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
View PDF (679 KB)
DescriptionThis paper describes an effort to develop a global dynamic testing technique for evaluating the overall stiffness of timber bridge superstructures. A forced vibration method was used to measure the natural frequency of single-span timber bridges in the laboratory and field. An analytical model based on simple beam theory was proposed to represent the relationship between the first bending mode frequency and bridge stiffness (characterized as EI product). The results indicated that the forced vibration method has potential for quickly assessing the stiffness of the timber bridge superstructure. However, improvements must be made in the measurement system to correctly identify the first bending mode frequency in bridges in the field. The beam theory model was found to fit the physics of the superstructure of single-span timber bridges and could be used to correlate first bending frequency to global stiffness if appropriate system parameters are identified.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWang, Xiping; Wacker, James P.; Morison, Angus M.; Forsman, John W.; Erickson, John R.; Ross, Robert J. 2005. Nondestructive assessment of single-span timber bridges using a vibration- based method. Res. Pap. FPL-RP-627. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 15 p.
KeywordsTimber bridges, NDE, vibration
- Development of flexural vibration inspection techniques to rapidly assess the structural health of timber bridge systems
- Nondestructive assessment of timber bridges using a vibration-based method
- Estimating bridge stiffness using a forced-vibration technique for timber bridge health monitoring
XML: View XML