Skip to Main Content
Nontimber forest products management on national forests in the United States.Author(s): Rebecca J. McLain; Eric T. Jones
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-655. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 85 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.80 MB)
DescriptionThis study provides an overview of nontimber forest products (NTFP) programs on national forests in the United States. We conducted an email survey in 2003 to obtain data on NTFP management activities on national forests across the country. Program characteristics examined in the study included important NTFPs managed on national forests, presence of NTFP coordinators and law enforcement programs on ranger districts, incorporation of NTFPs into forest planning documents, presence of NTFP inventory and monitoring programs, managers’ views on barriers to and opportunities for including NTFP harvesters in NTFP inventory and monitoring efforts, and managers’ perceptions of barriers to expanding commercial NTFP harvesting. The data indicate that the agency is constructing a foundation for scientific NTFP management. The study identifies lack of funding and internal administrative capacity as key barriers to adequate incorporation of NTFPs in Forest Service planning, inventory, and monitoring.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcLain, Rebecca J.; Jones, Eric T. 2005. Nontimber forest products management on national forests in the United States. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-655. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 85 p
KeywordsNontimber forest products, forest planning, inventory and monitoring, biodiversity conservation, special forest products
- Monitoring nontimber forest products using forest inventory data: an example with slippery elm bark
- How might FIA deliver more information on status and trends of non-timber forest products?
- Assessment of nontimber forest products in the United States under changing conditions
XML: View XML