Skip to Main Content
Bio-composites made from pine strawAuthor(s): Cheng Piao; Todd F. Shupe; Chung Y. Hse; Jamie Tang
Source: In: Bio-Based Composites Symposium, Volume 1 Nanjing, China, October 31-November 2, 288-296
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (1.44 MB)
DescriptionPine straw is renewable natural resource that is under-utilized. The objective of this study was to evaluate the physical and mechanical performances of pine straw composites. Three panel density levels (0.8, 0.9, 1.0 g/cm2) and two resin content levels (1% pMDI + 4% UF, 2% pMDI + 4% UF) were selected as treatments. For the pine-straw-bamboo-fiber straw fibers were treated with a container blender, which reduced the fiber sizes and increased the roughness of fiber surfaces. The bending and IB strength properties of the pine straw boards meet the requirements of Class 5 of the voluntary product standard PS 60-73. Strength properties of the pine straw boards were positively correlated with the blending time. The waxy cutin on the surface of the needles was a barrier to the bonding quality and blending in the container blender was helpful in the removal of cutin from material surfaces. Linear relationship was found between the internal bond (IB) strength and board density. Higher pMDI resin content led to greater slope values of the Ib-density regression lines. The addition of strong bamboo fibers significantly increased the bending and interenal bond strength of the pine straw composites.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPiao, Cheng; Shupe, Todd F.; Hse, Chung Y.; Tang, Jamie. 2004. Bio-composites made from pine straw. In: Bio-Based Composites Symposium, Volume 1 Nanjing, China, October 31-November 2, 288-296
Keywordspine straw, pine needles, bio-composites, forest fire, renewable natural resources, bamboo, composites
- Impact performance of two bamboo-based laminated composites
- Timber Bamboo Pulp
- Mechanical and physical properties of agro-based fiberboard
XML: View XML