Skip to Main Content
Historical Development of Simulation Models of Recreation UseAuthor(s): Jan W. van Wagtendonk; David N. Cole
Source: In: Cole, David N., comp. 2005. Computer simulation modeling of recreation use: current status, case studies, and future directions. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-143. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 3-10
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (40 B)
DescriptionThe potential utility of modeling as a park and wilderness management tool has been recognized for decades. Romesburg (1974) explored how mathematical decision modeling could be used to improve decisions about regulation of wilderness use. Cesario (1975) described a computer simulation modeling approach that utilized GPSS (General Purpose Systems Simulator), a simulation language designed to deal with scheduling problems. He identified a number of potential uses and the advantages of using simulation instead of trial and error. In this chapter, we review many of the most important applications of computer simulation modeling to recreation use, and the major lessons learned during each application.
Individual papers from this publication
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Citationvan Wagtendonk, Jan W.; Cole, David N. 2005. Historical Development of Simulation Models of Recreation Use. In: Cole, David N., comp. 2005. Computer simulation modeling of recreation use: current status, case studies, and future directions. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-143. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 3-10
Keywordscomputer simulation, park planning, recreation management, simulation modeling, Romesburg, Cesario, GPSS, General Purpose Systems Simulator, recreation use
- Computer simulation modeling of recreation use: Current status, case studies, and future directions
- Case studies of simulation models of recreation use
- Overview of Computer Simulation Modeling Approaches and Methods
XML: View XML