Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Performance of Loblolly Pine Seed Sources in ArgentinaAuthor(s): Timothy La Farge; Floyd E. Bridgwater; Mirta N. Baez
Source: Proceedings of the 25th Biennial Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (110 KB)
DescriptionFour test series of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) were evaluated to determine the performance in northeastern Argentina of seed sources from three breeding populations in the southeastern United States. Three half-sib progeny tests of seed sources from Florida and Louisiana demonstrated strong genetic gains for height, dbh, and volume growth. However, full-sib progeny tests in three test series of seed sources from Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi performed poorer than checklots from land races in Argentina. To build a greater genetic base of loblolly pine for Argentina it would be better to sample other seed sources from the southeastern USA.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLa Farge, Timothy; Bridgwater, Floyd E.; Baez, Mirta N. 1999. Performance of Loblolly Pine Seed Sources in Argentina. Proceedings of the 25th Biennial Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Keywordsseed source, land race, progeny test, checklot.
- Transboundary protected area proposals along the Southern Andes of Chile and Argentina: Status of current efforts
- Herbicide and Native Grass Seeding Effects on Sulfur Cinquefoil (Potentilla recta)Infested Grasslands
- Nursery practices with exotic conifers in Patagonia, Argentina, and some reasons to afforest the region with these species
XML: View XML