Skip to Main Content
The sensitivity of derived estimates to the measurment quality objectives for independent variablesAuthor(s): Francis A. Roesch
Source: In: Proceedings of the Fourth Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium, 173-180
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (789 KB)
DescriptionThe effect of varying the allowed measurement error for individual tree variables upon county estimates of gross cubic-foot volume was examined. Measurement Quality Ob~ectives (MQOs) for three forest tree variables (biological identity, diameter, and height) used in individual tree gross cubic-foot volume equations were varied from the current USDA Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis specifications in a sirnulation under alternative error models. Assuming unbiased errors may lead to a different control strategy than assuming unbiased errors. Strengthening the MQO for diameter was shown to help reduce the overall variance of volume estimates if diameter errors are slightly biased. Height errors responded favorably to increased control under both the biased and unbiased models. County volume estimates are somewhat robust to the MQOs for biological identity. However, increased control of biological identity did play a more important role when the underlying distributin of or diameter and height were assumed to be biased than when these errors were assun~edto be unbiased.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRoesch, Francis A. 2002. The sensitivity of derived estimates to the measurment quality objectives for independent variables. In: Proceedings of the Fourth Annual Forest Inventory and Analysis Symposium, 173-180
- The Sensitivity of Derived Estimates to the Measurement Quality Objectives for Independent Variables
- Measurement variability error for estimates of volume change
- Retransformation bias in a stem profile model
XML: View XML