Skip to Main Content
Modeling missing remeasurement tree heights in forest inventory dataAuthor(s): Raymond M. Sheffield; Callie J. Schweitzer
Source: McRoberts, R.E.; Reams, G.A.; van Deusen, P.C.; [and others] eds. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 181-186.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (544 KB)
DescriptionMissing tree heights are often problematic in compiling forest inventory renleasureinent data. Heights for cut and niortality trees are usually not available; calculations of removal or mortality volumes must utilize either a modeled height at the time of tree death or the height assigned to the tree at a previous remeasurement. Less often, tree heights are not available for trees that were determined to be missed tally trees in an initial inventory. In these cases, a height is available for the current measurement, but the initial tree lieight must be modeled or estimated. In this paper, we present a procedure for predicting either a time 1 or time 2 height. The procedure uses actual tree height information for a tree collected at time 1 or time 2 if available. Incorporating tlie relationship between actual tree height to predicted height provides for an adjustment to height equations that do not incorporate site quality and stand parameters.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSheffield, Raymond M.; Schweitzer, Callie J. 2002. Modeling missing remeasurement tree heights in forest inventory data. McRoberts, R.E.; Reams, G.A.; van Deusen, P.C.; [and others] eds. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 181-186.
KeywordsMcRoberts, R.E., Reams, G.A., van Deusen, P.C., [and others] eds. NC-252. St. Paul, MN: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station: 181-186.
- Modeling Missing Remeasurement Tree Heights in Forest Inventory Data
- LIDAR forest inventory with single-tree, double- and single-phase procedures
- Preliminary Results of Double-Sample Forest Inventory of Pine and Mixed Stands with High- and Low-Density LiDAR
XML: View XML