Skip to Main Content
Recent changes in costs of shipping forest products by rail.Author(s): Kristine C. Jackson
Source: Res. Note PNW-RN-471. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 13 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (536 KB)
DescriptionCosts for shipping lumber, plywood, and paper by rail are used by the USDA Forest Service in periodic timber assessments to measure the average cost of transporting forest products from producing locations to the point of final consumption. The Staggers Rail Act of 1980 authorized deregulation of the Nation's railroads. The purposes of this study were to determine whether changes in transportation costs have occurred since deregulation and to analyze the effects of deregulation on transportation costs between regions. The effects of the Staggers Rail Act on rail freight rates and services offered to this sector of the U.S. timber economy are discussed, as are changes in comparative advantages for the various regions. Results for these transportation costs indicated that some changes have occurred since passage of the Staggers Rail Act, although changing economic conditions may have also affected these costs.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJackson, Kristine C. 1988. Recent changes in costs of shipping forest products by rail. Res. Note PNW-RN-471. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 13 p
KeywordsForest products, costs (transportation), Staggers Rail Act
- The impact of Pulpwood Rail Freight Costs on the Minnesota-Wisconsin Pulpwood Market
- Impacts of the Jones Act on the Alaska forest products trade.
- Economic implications for management of structural retention on harvest units at the Blue River Ranger District, Willamette National Forest, Oregon.
XML: View XML