Skip to Main Content
Coherent vertical structures in numerical simulations of buoyant plumes from wildland firesAuthor(s): Philip Cunningham; Scott L. Goodrick; M. Yousuff Hussaini; Rodman R. Linn
Source: International Journal of Wildland Fire, 14, 61-75
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.5 MB)
DescriptionThe structure and dynamics of buoyant plumes arising from surface-based heat sources in a vertically sheared ambient atmospheric flow are examined via simulations of a three-dimensional, compressible numerical model. Simple circular heat sources and asymmetric elliptical ring heat sources that are representative of wildland fires of moderate intensity are considered. Several different coherent vortical structures that dominate the plume structure and evolution are evident in the simulations. and these structures correspond well with those observed in plumes from wildland fires. For the circular source, these structures include: (i) a counter-rotating vortex pair aligned with the plume trajectory that is associated with a bifurcation of the plume, (ii) transverse shear-layer vortices on the upstream face of the plume, and (iii) vertically oriented wake vortices that form periodically with alternating sign on either side of the downstream edge of the plume base. For the elliptical ring source, a streamwise counter-rotating vortex pair is apparent on each flank, and a transverse horizontal vortex is observed above the head of the source. In all simulations the plume cross section is represented poorly by a self-similar Gaussian distribution.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCunningham, Philip; Goodrick, Scott L.; Hussaini, M. Yousuff; Linn, Rodman R. 2005. Coherent vertical structures in numerical simulations of buoyant plumes from wildland fires. International Journal of Wildland Fire, 14, 61-75
- Three Types of Horizontal Vortices Observed in Wildland Mass and Crown Fires
- Numerical simulations of island-scale airflow over Maui and the Maui vortex under summer trade wind conditions
- High-resolution numerical models for smoke transport in plumes from wildland fires
XML: View XML