Skip to Main Content
Cost of Sawing Timber (COST) Module (Version 1.0) for Windows®Author(s): A. Jefferson, Jr. Palmer; Janice K. Wiedenbeck; Robert W. Mayer; Robert W. Mayer
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-338. Newtwon Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 18 p. [Includes CD-ROM].
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
Download Publication (1.28 MB)
DescriptionThe Cost of Sawing Timber (COST) Module calculates the cost of operations per minute and per thousand board feet for a hardwood sawmill. It may be used independently or as a source of cost information for use in sawmill efficiency software such as the SOLVE program. Cost figures are calculated on the basis of information entered by the user. Sawmill managers use these costs as benchmarks in addressing a wide range of operational issues. SOLVE and similar sawmill analysis programs use the cost-per-minute figure derived by COST in calculating the break-even cost for logs of different species, grades, diameters, and lengths.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPalmer, A. Jefferson, Jr.; Wiedenbeck, Janice K.; Mayer, Robert W. 2005. Cost of Sawing Timber (COST) Module (Version 1.0) for Windows?. [Computer Program]. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-338. Newtwon Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 18 p. [Includes CD-ROM].
Keywordssawmill, software, operating cost, SOLVE, efficiency
- Hardwood sawmill downtime costs
- Utilization and cost of log production from animal loging operations
- Cost of Maple Sap Production for Various Size Tubing Operations
XML: View XML