Skip to Main Content
Design unbiased estimation in line intersect sampling using segmented transectsAuthor(s): David L.R. Affleck; Timothy G. Gregoire; Harry T. Valentine; Harry T. Valentine
Source: Environmental and Ecological Statistics. 12(1): 39-154.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (879.16 KB)
DescriptionIn many applications of line intersect sampling. transects consist of multiple, connected segments in a prescribed configuration. The relationship between the transect configuration and the selection probability of a population element is illustrated and a consistent sampling protocol, applicable to populations composed of arbitrarily shaped elements, is proposed. It is shown that this protocol obviates the arbitrary practice of treating multiple intersections of a single particle as independent probabilistic events and preserves the design-unbiasedness of Kaiser's (1983, Biornetrics 39, 965-976) conditional and unconditional estimators, suitably generalized to segmented transect designs. The relative efficiency and utility of segmented transect designs are also discussed from a fixed population perspective.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAffleck, David L.R.; Gregoire, Timothy G.; Valentine, Harry T. 2005. Design unbiased estimation in line intersect sampling using segmented transects. Environmental and Ecological Statistics. 12(1): 39-154.
Keywordscoarse woody debris, design-unbiasedness, multiple intersections, transect configuration
- Edge Effects in Line Intersect Sampling With
- Line intersect sampling: Ell-shaped transects and multiple intersections
- Monte Carlo approaches to sampling forested tracts with lines or points
XML: View XML