Skip to Main Content
An Assessment of the Red Maple Resource in the Northeastern United StatesAuthor(s): Delton R., Jr. Alderman; Matthew S. Bumgardner; John E. Baumgras; John E. Baumgras
Source: Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 22(3): 181-189.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (635.38 KB)
DescriptionThe red maple resource in the northeastern United States has exhibited dramatic gains in the past 3 decades in terms of stem numbers and net volume. Growing stock and sawtimber volumes have displayed extraordinary growth compared to other species, and red maple is replacing important market species that have historically been used in the Northeast. The increase in red maple has salient implications for foresters, primary and secondary manufacturers, and wood technologists. Data from the USDA Forest Service's (USFS) Forest Inventory and Analysis program were used to provide a regional assessment of the red maple resource. The analysis includes the location, concentration, volume, quality, and current utilization of red maple in the USFS's 13-state Northeastern Region. Study results indicate red maple is a significant and increasing component of northeastern forests, with Pennsylvania, New York, and Maine holding the largest volumes of red maple. Red maple, expressed as a percentage of USFS hardwood tree grades, is distributed primarily in grades 3 and lower. Finally, development of innovative markets and novel products, understanding consumers via consumer behavior research, and innovative silvicultural treatments will be required to increase the utilization of red maple.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAlderman, Delton R., Jr.; Bumgardner, Matthew S.; Baumgras, John E. 2005. An Assessment of the Red Maple Resource in the Northeastern United States. Northern Journal of Applied Forestry. 22(3): 181-189.
Keywordsred maple, growing stock, sawtimber, volume, concentration, utilization
- Analysis of stand basal area development of thinned and unthinned Acer rubrum forests in the upper Great Lakes region, USA
- Chapter 8:Properties of red maple laminated veneer lumber
- Weight and volume equations and tables for red maple in the Lake States.
XML: View XML