Skip to Main Content
Genetic dissection of fusiform rust and pitch canker disease traits in loblolly pineAuthor(s): Gogce C. Kayihan; Dudley A. Huber; Alison M. Morse; Timothy L. White; John M. Davis
Source: Theor Appl Genet (2005) 110: 948-958
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.41 MB)
DescriptionLoblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) exhibits genetic resistance to fusiforrn rust disease (incited by the biotrophic fungus, Cronartiurn quercuum f. sp. fusifom) and pitch canker disease (incited by the necrotrophic fungus, Fusarium circinatum). In this study, a total of 14,015 loblolly pine cuttings from 1,065 clones were screened in controlled greenhouse conditions to identify phenotypes of clones, families, and parents that guide a genetic dissection of disease traits associated with pitch canker and fusifom rust. A total of 23,373 phenotypic data points were collected for lesion length (pitch canker) and gall score, gall length, and gall width (fusifonn rust). We verified heritable fusifonn rust and pitch canker traits and calculated parental, clonal, and full-sib family rankings for both diseases. Genetic correlations revealed that traits associated with fusiform rust are genetically distinct from one another, and that the genetic mechanisms underlying pitch canker and fusiform rust resistance are independent. The disease pheno typing described here is a critical step towards identifying specific loci and alleles associated with fusiform rust and pitch canker resistance.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKayihan, Gogce C.; Huber, Dudley A.; Morse, Alison M.; White, Timothy L.; Davis, John M. 2005. Genetic dissection of fusiform rust and pitch canker disease traits in loblolly pine. Theor Appl Genet (2005) 110: 948-958
- Tandem selection for fusiform rust sisease resistance to develop a clonal elite breeding population of loblolly pine
- Identification of nine pathotype-specific genes conferring resistance to fusiform rust in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.)
- Bulked fusiform rust inocula and Fr gene interactions in loblolly pine
XML: View XML