Skip to Main Content
Factors affecting the availability of wood energy from nonindustrial private forest lands in the Northeast.Author(s): John J. Lindsay; Alphonse H. Gilbert; Thomas W. Birch; Thomas W. Birch
Source: Resour. Bull. NE-122. Radnor, PA: US. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 19 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
Download Publication (910.34 KB)
DescriptionDescribes factors affecting the availability of fuelwood from nonindustrial private forests (NIPF) in the Northeast. The availability of market fuelwood depends heavily on tract size. The demand for land to supply the expanding urban fringe may result in a lower supply of market wood but also in more wood being cut to satisfy the owner's need for wood. NIPF owners in the Northeast might be persuaded to sell firewood to a regional market, but this supply would not meet the region's total energy needs for more than several years. However, fuelwood could become an important energy supplement in the Northeast until alternative energy sources are developed.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLindsay, John J.; Gilbert, Alphonse H.; Birch, Thomas W. 1992. Factors affecting the availability of wood energy from nonindustrial private forest lands in the Northeast. Resour. Bull. NE-122. Radnor, PA: US. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 19 p.
Keywordsavailable timber, harvesting, forest-land ownership
- Modeling future U.S. forest sector market and trade impacts of expansion in wood energy consumption
- Characterizing Virginia's private forest owners and their forest lands.
- Characterizing Virginia's Private Forest Owners and Their Forest Lands
XML: View XML