Skip to Main Content
Deinking selectivity (Z-factor) : a new parameter to evaluate the performance of flotation deinking processAuthor(s): J.Y. Zhu; F. Tan; K.L. Scallon; Y. Zhao; Y. Deng
Source: 7th Research Forum on Recycling, September 27-29, 2004, Quebec City, QC, Canada [electronic resource]. [Montreal : PAPTAC, 2004?]: p. 109-113.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (189 KB)
DescriptionReducing fiber loss is also important to conserve resources and reduce the cost of secondary fibers. This study proposes a deinking selectivity concept that considers both ink removal and fiber yield in determining the performance of deinking operations. The defined deinking selectivity, or Z-factor, is expressed by the ratio of ink removal expressed by the International Standards Organization (ISO) brightness gain or the reduction in relative effective residual ink concentration (ERIC) and the relative fiber rejection loss. Pilot-scale flotation deinking experiments showed that Z-factor weighted brightness gain and ERIC reduction are good indicators of deinking process efficiency. The Z-factors are good indicators of the efficiency of a deinking stage or process. A simple criterion developed using the stage Z-factor was applied to a mill operation to determine the stage economics.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationZhu, J.Y.; Tan, F.; Scallon, K.L.; Zhao, Y.; Deng, Y. 2004. Deinking selectivity (Z-factor) : a new parameter to evaluate the performance of flotation deinking process. 7th Research Forum on Recycling, September 27-29, 2004, Quebec City, QC, Canada [electronic resource]. [Montreal : PAPTAC, 2004?]: p. 109-113.
KeywordsDeinking, flotation, waste paper, recycling, brightness
- Deinking selectivity (Z-factor) : a new parameter to evaluate the performance of flotation deinking process
- Laboratory-and mill-scale study of surfactant spray flotation deinking
- Froth conductivity for in situ monitoring of fiber (solid) and wet rejects in flotation deinking
XML: View XML