Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
An analysis of the outdoor recreation and wilderness situation in the United States, 1989-2040: A technical document supporting the 1989 USDA Forest Service RPA AssessmentAuthor(s): H. Ken Cordell; John C. Bergstrom; Lawrence A. Hartmann; Donald B. K. English
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RM-GTR-189. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 112 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station
View PDF (23.72 MB)
DescriptionThe Analysis of the Outdoor Recreation and Wilderness Situation in the United States is intended to build upon past studies and to establish a new and better information base on outdoor recreation and wilderness demand and supply. Also, this assessment answers several key questions which will help identify ways to meet demand through the year 2040. Specifically, it is to serve as the foundation for the Forest Service’s development of a 50-year program through which that agency can help satisfy the nation’s outdoor recreation and wilderness needs.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCordell, H. Ken; Bergstrom, John C.; Hartmann, Lawrence A.; English, Donald B. K. 1990. An analysis of the outdoor recreation and wilderness situation in the United States, 1989-2040: A technical document supporting the 1989 USDA Forest Service RPA Assessment. Gen. Tech. Rep. RM-GTR-189. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 112 p.
Keywordsoutdoor recreation, wilderness, recreation management, demand
- Framework for the assessment
- An analysis of the timber situation in the United States: 1989-2040
- Frameworks for defining and managing the wilderness experience
XML: View XML