Skip to Main Content
Decision support systems for ecosystem management: An evaluation of existing systemsAuthor(s): H. Todd Mowrer; Klaus Barber; Joe Campbell; Nick Crookston; Cathy Dahms; John Day; Jim Laacke; Jim Merzenich; Steve Mighton; Mike Rauscher; Rick Sojda; Joyce Thompson; Peter Trenchi; Mark Twery
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RM-GTR-296. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 154 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station
View PDF (8.98 MB)
DescriptionThis report evaluated 24 computer-aided decision support systems (DSS) that can support management decision-making in forest ecosystems. It compares the scope of each system, spatial capabilities, computational methods, development status, input and output requirements, user support availability, and system performance. Questionnaire responses from the DSS developers (who have sole responsibility for their content) provide the basis for four summary tables comparing system capabilities. The responses are also presented verbatim for reference. This evaluation aids potential users of decision support systems in determining which system most closely fulfills their needs.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationMowrer, H. Todd; Barber, Klaus; Campbell, Joe; Crookston, Nick; Dahms, Cathy; Day, John; Laacke, Jim; Merzenich, Jim; Mighton, Steve; Rauscher, Mike; Sojda, Rick; Thompson, Joyce; Trenchi, Peter; Twery, Mark. 1997. Decision support systems for ecosystem management: An evaluation of existing systems. Gen. Tech. Rep. RM-GTR-296. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 154 p.
Keywordsgeographic information systems, optimization, heuristics, artificial intelligence, simulation modeling
- AppBuilder for DSSTools; an application development environment for developing decision support systems in Prolog
- A method for integrating multiple components in a decision support system
- Publically accessible decision support system of the spatially referenced regressions on watershed attributes (SPARROW) model and model enhancements in South Carolina
XML: View XML