Skip to Main Content
Ecosystem productivity and the impact of climate changeAuthor(s): Linda A. Joyce; Martha Nungesser
Source: In: Joyce, Linda A.; Birdsey, Richard, technical editors. 2000. The impact of climate change on America's forests: a technical document supporting the 2000 USDA Forest Service RPA Assessment. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-59. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 45-68
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2 MB)
DescriptionEarlier analyses of the supply and demand of timber assumed the continuation of historical climate and thus, did not explicitly incorporate factors such as temperature or precipitation into the projections of timber growth. Forests are adapted to local climates and changes in these climates are likely to impact future forest growth and timber outputs. Within the strategic planning process of the Forest Service, the analysis of ecosystem productivity, as influenced by climatic factors, has been identified as a critical question in order to address the challenging problems associated with climate change: What are the likely effects of increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide and prospective climate change on ecosystem productivity, as measured by changes in net primary productivity?
Individual chapters from this publication
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJoyce, Linda A.; Nungesser, Martha. 2000. Ecosystem productivity and the impact of climate change. In: Joyce, Linda A.; Birdsey, Richard, technical editors. 2000. The impact of climate change on America''s forests: a technical document supporting the 2000 USDA Forest Service RPA Assessment. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-59. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 45-68
Keywordssupply and demand of timber, timber growth, climate change, ecosystem productivity
- Climate change impacts and adaptation in forestry: responses by trees and markets.
- Chapter 14: The impacts of climate change on forestry
- Future socio-economic impacts and vulnerabilities
XML: View XML