Skip to Main Content
Insects of the Idaho National Laboratory: A compilation and reviewAuthor(s): Nancy Hampton
Source: In: Shaw, Nancy L.; Pellant, Mike; Monsen, Stephen B., comps. 2005. Sage-grouse habitat restoration symposium proceedings; 2001 June 4-7, Boise, ID. Proc. RMRS-P-38. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 116-130
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (240 B)
DescriptionLarge tracts of important sagebrush (Artemisia L.) habitat in southeastern Idaho, including thousands of acres at the Idaho National Laboratory (INL), continue to be lost and degraded through wildland fire and other disturbances. The roles of most insects in sagebrush ecosystems are not well understood, and the effects of habitat loss and alteration on their populations and communities have not been well studied. Although a comprehensive survey of insects at the INL has not been performed, smaller scale studies have been concentrated in sagebrush and associated communities at the site. Here, I compile a taxonomic inventory of insects identified in these studies. The baseline inventory of more than 1,240 species, representing 747 genera in 212 families, can be used to build models of insect diversity in natural and restored sagebrush habitats.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHampton, Nancy. 2005. Insects of the Idaho National Laboratory: A compilation and review. In: Shaw, Nancy L.; Pellant, Mike; Monsen, Stephen B., comps. 2005. Sage-grouse habitat restoration symposium proceedings; 2001 June 4-7, Boise, ID. Proc. RMRS-P-38. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 116-130
Keywordsinsects, sagebrush, Artemisia L., southeastern Idaho, Idaho National Laboratory, INL, taxonomic inventory
- Restoring Wyoming big sagebrush
- Seeding considerations in restoring big sagebrush habitat
- Classification and capabilities of woody sagebrush communities of Western North America with emphasis on sage-grouse habitat
XML: View XML