Skip to Main Content
Gas chromatographic determination of 1.8-naphthalimide, N-hydroxy-1.8- naphthalimide (N,N-naphthaloylhydroxylamine) and the sodium salt of N-hydroxy-1.8-naphthalimideAuthor(s): Eckhard Melcher; Frederick Green
Source: Thirty-fourth annual meeting of the International Research Group on Wood Preservation : 2003 May 18-23, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Stockholm, Sweden : IRG Secretariat, 2003: 11 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (605 KB)
DescriptionA number of naphthalimide (NI) derivatives are used as efficient laser dyes, in medicine or in transmission electron microscopy. Only N,N- naphthaloylhydroxylamine (NHA) has been shown to be an effective wood preservative against wood decay fungi and termite damage. However, limited information is available concerning the analytical detection of Nl-derivatives in treated timber. There is a clear need for the analytical characterisation; e.g. with regard to the penetration depth or the assessment of retention after leaching. This paper describes the development of a gas chromatographic method for determination of NI and their derivatives in timber. These investigations were carried out by means of direct thermal desorption-gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (TD-GS-MS) using the pure substances in solution, as well as direct analysis of treated southern yellow pine (SYP). It was shown that the identification of NHA in treated SYP is possible using this analytical technique. Furthermore first evidence is given for determining quantitative data. Surprisingly, the chromatograms and especially mass spectra obtained for NHA and the sodium salt of NHA are identical to the mass spectra of NI. The first results show that TD-GC-MS can be an option in determining the retention levels of NI and their derivatives in wood.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMelcher, Eckhard; Green, Frederick. 2003. Gas chromatographic determination of 1.8-naphthalimide, N-hydroxy-1.8- naphthalimide (N,N-naphthaloylhydroxylamine) and the sodium salt of N-hydroxy-1.8-naphthalimide. Thirty-fourth annual meeting of the International Research Group on Wood Preservation : 2003 May 18-23, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Stockholm, Sweden : IRG Secretariat, 2003: 11 p.
KeywordsN-hydroxy-1.8-naphthalimide, N, N-naphthaloylhydroxylamine, gas chromatography, wood preservative
- Inhibition of termite damage by N`N-napthaloylhydroxyamine (NHA) : Reticulotermes flavipes (Kollar) vs. Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki
- A preliminary study of preservative retention and penetration in ACQ-treated timbers using near infrared spectroscopy
- Correlation between oxalic acid production and tolerance of Tyromyces palustris strain TYP-6137 to N',N-naphthaloylhydroxamine
XML: View XML