Skip to Main Content
The national database of wildfire mitigation programs: state, county and local efforts reduce wildfire riskAuthor(s): Terry Haines; Cheryl Renner; Margaret Reams; James Granskog
Source: In: Proceedings of the 2004 Society of American Foresters National Convention: One Forest Under Two Flags. 31(4): 357.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (599 KB)
DescriptionThe growth of residential communities within forested areas has increased the danger to life and property from uncontrolled wildfire. In response, states, counties and local governments in the United States have dramatically increased their wildfire mitigation efforts. Policymakers and fire officials are employing a wide range of regulatory and voluntary wildfire risk reduction programs. We researched wildfire hazard mitigation programs developed by state and local governments to establish the website, www.wildfireprograms.usda.gov. The website is a clearinghouse of information to assist wildfire protection officials, community leaders, and policy makers in the development of effective wildfire mitigation strategies. The website currently describes more than 190 programs in 3 1 states, and includes information about the purpose, features, and accomplishments of wildfire hazard mitigation efforts; as well as links to pertinent websites and program managers' contact information.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHaines, Terry; Renner, Cheryl; Reams, Margaret; Granskog, James. 2005. The national database of wildfire mitigation programs: state, county and local efforts reduce wildfire risk. In: Proceedings of the 2004 Society of American Foresters National Convention: One Forest Under Two Flags. 31(4): 357.
Keywordsregulation, wildfire protection planning, defensible space
- Mitigating Wildfire Risk in the Wildland Urban Interface: The Role of Regulations
- A conceptual framework for coupling the biophysical and social dimensions of wildfire to improve fireshed planning and risk mitigation
- Does Wildfire Open a Policy Window? Local Government and Community Adaptation After Fire in the United States
XML: View XML