Skip to Main Content
Correlation of adhesive strength with service life of paint applied to weathered woodAuthor(s): R. Sam Williams; Jerrold E. Winandy; Peter G. Sotos; William C. Feist
Source: Proceedings from the Woodframe Housing Durability and Disaster Issues Conference, October 4-6, 2004 ... Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. Madison, WI : Forest Products Society, : p. 313-322.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (2.7 MB)
DescriptionSmooth-planed western redcedar bevel siding was exposed outdoors (preweathered) for 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16 weeks. The weathered boards were separated into two end-matched groups. One group was painted with only primer paint and tested for paint adhesion following preweathering. The second group was painted with a primer and topcoat, exposed outdoors for an additional 20 years, and evaluated during this period for paint cracking and flaking. There was a direct correlation between the amount of time the siding was preweathered and the long-term paint performance. Those boards preweathered for 16 weeks began to show cracking after about 3 years, whereas those boards that were not preweathered were in almost perfect condition after 20 years. Paint adhesion tests done on end-matched boards that were preweathered at the same time and then painted showed good correlation between the paint bond strength and outdoor paint performance for the preweathered boards.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilliams, R. Sam; Winandy, Jerrold E.; Sotos, Peter G.; Feist, William C. 2004. Correlation of adhesive strength with service life of paint applied to weathered wood. Proceedings from the Woodframe Housing Durability and Disaster Issues Conference, October 4-6, 2004 ... Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. Madison, WI : Forest Products Society, : p. 313-322.
KeywordsAdhesive strength, service life, paint, weathered wood, correlation, western redcedar
- Correlation of adhesive strength with service life of paint applied to weathered wood
- Comparison of traditional methods for testing paint service life with new methods for service life prediction
- Effect of surface preparation on service life of top-coats applied to weathered primer paint
XML: View XML