Skip to Main Content
Equations for merchantable volume for subtropical moist and wet forests of Puerto RicoAuthor(s): Thomas J. Brandeis; Olaf Kuegler; Steven A. Knowe
Source: Res. Pap. SRS-39. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 15 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (939 KB)
DescriptionIn Puerto Rico, where locally grown woods are primarily used for furniture and crafts production, estimation of wood volume makes it possible to estimate the monetary value of one of the many commodities and services forests provide to society. In the Puerto Rican forest inventories of 1980 and 1990, workers calculated stem volume directly by applying geometric formulae to bole sections of merchantable trees. Field crews recorded several diameter and height measurements along the bole of each tree. If tree volume estimates were based on fewer tree measurements, this would significantly increase field crew productivity. For this reason, tree volume equations have been derived from Puerto Rican forest inventory data by directly calculating stem volume, then creating regression equations that estimate inside and outside bark merchantable stem volume from tree diameter at breast height and total height.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrandeis, Thomas J.; Kuegler, Olaf; Knowe, Steven A. 2005. Equations for merchantable volume for subtropical moist and wet forests of Puerto Rico. Res. Pap. SRS-39. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 15 p.
KeywordsForest inventory and analysis, merchantable stem volume, Puerto Rico, tropical forest, volume equations
- Merchantable Volume and Weights of Mahoe in Puerto Rican Plantations
- Merchantable Volume Table for Ucar in Puerto Rico
- Allometric equations for predicting Puerto Rican dry forest biomass and volume
XML: View XML