Skip to Main Content
Ipsenol: An Aggregation Pheromone for Ips latidens (LeConte) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)Author(s): Daniel R. Miller; John H. Borden; G.G.S. King; Keith N. Slessor
Source: Journal of Chemical Ecology, Vol. 17, No. 8, 1991
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (200 KB)
DescriptionIpsenol was identified from the frass of male, but not female, Ips latidens from British Columbia, feeding in phloem tissue of lodgepole pine, Pinus contorta var. latifolia. The responses of I. latidens to sources of ipsenol and cis-verbenol were determined with multiple-funnel traps in stands of lodgepole pine in British Columbia. Ipsenol attracted both male and female I. latidens, verifying that it is a pheromone for this species. Male I. latidens showed a slight preference for (S)-(-)-ipsenol. cis-Verbenol was not produced by beetles of either sex and, in contrast to an earlier report, both enantiomers inhibited attraction to ipsenol-baited traps. The predators, Enoclerus sphegeus , and Thanasimus undatulus, (Cleridae), were attracted to traps baited with cis-verbenol and ipsenol.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, Daniel R.; Borden, John H.; King, G.G.S.; Slessor, Keith N. 1991. Ipsenol: An Aggregation Pheromone for Ips latidens (LeConte) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae). Journal of Chemical Ecology, Vol. 17, No. 8, 1991
KeywordsPheromone, ipsenol, cis-verbenol, chirality, Ips latidens, Coleoptera, Scolytidae, predator, kairomone, Enoclerus sphegeus, Thanasimus undatulus, Cleridae
- Pheromone interruption of pine engraver, Ips pini, by pheromones of mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- The Use of Monoterpenes as Kairomones by Ips latidens (LeConte) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- Dose-Dependent Pheromone Responses of Ips pini, Orthotomicus latiden (Coleoptera: Scolytidae), and associates in stands of lodgepole pine
XML: View XML