Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
The Use of Monoterpenes as Kairomones by Ips latidens (LeConte) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)Author(s): D.R. Miller; J.H. Borden
Source: Can. Ent. 122: 301-307 (1990)
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (173 KB)
DescriptionThe responses of Ips lutidens (LeConte) to multiple-funnel traps baited with various monoterpenes were determined in stands of lodgepole pine in British Columbia. ß-Phellandrene was attractive to I. lutidens in the absence of the pheromone ipsenol ß-Phellandrene increased the attraction of I. lutidens to ipsenol-baited traps while a-pinene, 3-carene, terpinolene, and myrcene reduced trap catches. Differential responses by males and females to sources of ipsenol with or without ß-phellandrene suggest that the information conveyed to males differs from that conveyed to females. Species-specific responses to monoterpenes by I. lutidens and three sympatric species of scolytids suggest that unique combinations of kairomones could be important in facilitating matings with conspecifics. Pheromones need not be the sole constituent of species-specific chemical messages.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, D.R.; Borden, J.H. 1990. The Use of Monoterpenes as Kairomones by Ips latidens (LeConte) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae). Can. Ent. 122: 301-307 (1990)
- ß-Phellandrene: Kairomone for Pine Engraver, Ips pini (Say) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- Ipsenol: An Aggregation Pheromone for Ips latidens (LeConte) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- Dose-Dependent and Species-Specific Responses of Pine Bark Beetles (Coeoptera: Scolytidae) to Monoterpenes in Association with Phermones
XML: View XML