Skip to Main Content
Ipsenol and Ipsdienol Attract Monochamus titillator (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) and Associated Large Pine Woodborers in Southeastern United StatesAuthor(s): D. R. Miller; C. Asaro
Source: J. Econ. Entomol. 98(6): 2033-2040
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (349 KB)
DescriptionWe determined the responses of the southern pine sawyer, Monochamus titillator (F.) (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae), to the pheromones (ipsenol, ipsdienol, and lanierone) used by pine engraver beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in the southeastern United States. (±)-Ipsenol, (±)- ipsdienol, or a combination increased catches of M. titillator in Florida, Louisiana, Georgia, and North Carolina. Catches of Acanthocinus obsoletus (Olivier) (Cerambycidae) were increased by (±)-ipsenol and (±)-ipsdienol in Florida and North Carolina, whereas only (±)-ipsenol was attractive in Georgia. (±)-Ipsenol and (±)-ipsdienol were attractive to Pachylobius picivorus (Germar) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in Florida, whereas only (±)-ipsdienol was active in Louisiana. In Florida, catches of M. titillator, A. obsoletus, and P. picivorus were greatest in traps baited with both (±)-ipsenol and (±)-ipsdienol. In Louisiana, catches of the woodborer Chalcophora virginiensis (Drury) Buprestidae) were increased by (±)-ipsenol. Lanierone did not affect trap catches of the aforementioned species. The combination of (±)-ipsenol and (±)-ipsdienol may be a cost-effective lure for these four species because we found no evidence of interruption in attraction to baited traps, and the cost of the lure combination is relatively low.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, D. R.; Asaro, C. 2005. Ipsenol and Ipsdienol Attract Monochamus titillator (Coleoptera: Cerambycidae) and Associated Large Pine Woodborers in Southeastern United States. J. Econ. Entomol. 98(6): 2033-2040
KeywordsMonochamus titillator, Acanthocinus obsoletus, ipsenol, ipsdienol, trap lure
- Bark Beetle pheromones and pine volatiles: Attractant Kairomone Lure Blend for Longhorn Beetles (Cerambycidae) in pine stands of the southeastern United States.
- Ethanol and (-)-α-Pinene: Attractant Kairomones for Some Large Wood-Boring Beetles in Southeastern USA
- Ethanol and (-)-a-pinene: attractant kairomones for some large wood-boring beetles in Southeastern USA
XML: View XML