Skip to Main Content
E-Myrcenol: A New Pheromone for the Pine Engraver, Ips Pini (Say) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)Author(s): D.R. Miller; G. Gries; J.H. Borden
Source: Can. Ent. 122: 401-406 (1990)
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (124 KB)
DescriptionE-Myrcenol reduced catches of the pine engraver, Ips pini (Say), to ipsdienol-baited, multiple-funnel traps in a dose-dependent fashion. The sex ratio was unaffected by E-myrcenol treatments. Lures containing E-myrcenol in ethanol solution failed to protect freshly cut logs of lodgepole pine from attack by I. pini. Rather, I. pini preferentially attacked logs treated with devices releasing E-myrcenol and ethanol, over nontreated, control logs. Our results demonstrate that E-myrcenol is a new pheromone for I. pini, and emphasize the importance of understanding basic pheromone biology before utilisation of a semiochemical in forest pest management.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, D.R.; Gries, G.; Borden, J.H. 1990. E-Myrcenol: A New Pheromone for the Pine Engraver, Ips Pini (Say) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae). Can. Ent. 122: 401-406 (1990)
- ß-Phellandrene: Kairomone for Pine Engraver, Ips pini (Say) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- Pheromone interruption of pine engraver, Ips pini, by pheromones of mountain pine beetle, Dendroctonus ponderosae (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- Semiochemical -Based Communication in interspecific interactions between IPS PINI and Pityogenes Knecteli (Swaine) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in Lodgepole Pine
XML: View XML