Skip to Main Content
OPTIGRAMI: Optimum lumber grade mix program for hardwood dimension partsAuthor(s): David G. Martens; Jr., Robert L. Nevel; Jr. Nevel
Source: Res. Pap. NE-563. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, orest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 10 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (723.28 KB)
DescriptionWith rapidly increasing lumber prices and shortages of some grades and species, the furniture industry must find ways to use its hardwood lumber resource more efficiently. A computer program called OPTIGRAMI is designed to help managers determine the best lumber to use in producing furniture parts. OPTIGRAMI determines the least-cost grade mix of lumber required to produce a given cutting order of dimension parts. If the optimum grade mix is not available, the program can determine the best alternatives. It also can be useful in procurement and allocation planning. A description of the program and examples of its use are included.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMartens, David G.; Nevel, Jr., Robert L. 1985. OPTIGRAMI: Optimum lumber grade mix program for hardwood dimension parts. Res. Pap. NE-563. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, orest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 10 p.
Keywordsfurniture, hardwood dimension, lumber yields, dimension yields
- Reduce dimension costs by using WALNUT
- Produce yellow-poplar furniture dimension at minimum cost by using YELLOPOP
- Manufacturing interior furniture parts: a new look at an old problem
XML: View XML