Skip to Main Content
Photographic guide to selected external defect indicators and associated internal defects in black cherryAuthor(s): Everette D. Rast; John A. Beaton; John A. Beaton
Source: Res. Pap. NE-560. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 22 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (8.99 MB)
DescriptionTo properly classify or grade logs or trees, one must be able to correctly identify defect indicators and assess the effect of the underlying defect on possible end products. This guide aids the individual in identifying the surface defect indicator and also shows the progressive stages of the defect throughout its development for black cherry. It illustrates and describes seven types of external defect indicators and associated defects that are particularly difficult to evaluate.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRast, Everette D.; Beaton, John A. 1985. Photographic guide to selected external defect indicators and associated internal defects in black cherry. Res. Pap. NE-560. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 22 p.
KeywordsDefect identification, photo guide, black cherry, quality assessment
- The Spotted Wing Drosophila, Drosophila suzukii (Diptera: Drosophilidae): A New Pest of Concern for Black Cherry, Prunus serotina, on the High Allegheny Plateau in Pennsylvania
- Maturation of Black Cherry Fruits in Central Mississippi
- Effects of disbudding on shoot mortality and stem deformity in black cherry
XML: View XML