Skip to Main Content
The Northern hardwood forest ecosystem: ten years of recovery from clearcuttingAuthor(s): J.W. Hornbeck; C.W. Martin; R.S. Pierce; F.H. Bormann; G.E. Likens; J.S. Eaton; J.S. Eaton
Source: NE-RP-596. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 30 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (3.13 MB)
DescriptionTwo even-age management systems, progressive strip cutting and block clearcutting, have been studied since 1970 on small watersheds at the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, New Hampshire. In the strip cutting, all merchantable trees were harvested in a series of three strips over 4 years (1970-74). In the block clearcutting, all trees were harvested in a single operation in 1970. This paper contrasts progressive strip cutting and block clearcutting for the 10-year period after initiation of harvest in terms of hydrologic response, erosion losses, stream water ions, nutrient leaching, nutrient removals in harvested products, and natural regeneraion of vegetation.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHornbeck, J.W.; Martin, C.W.; Pierce, R.S.; Bormann, F.H.; Likens, G.E.; Eaton, J.S. 1987. The Northern hardwood forest ecosystem: ten years of recovery from clearcutting. NE-RP-596. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 30 p.
Keywordswater yield, watershed, hydrology, soil nutrients, nutrient cycling, nutrient budget, stand regeneration, Hubbard Brook
- Revegetation after strip cutting and block clearcutting in northern hardwoods: a 10-year history
- Landscape ecology and forest management
- Allegheny hardwood regeneration response to even-age harvesting methods
XML: View XML