Skip to Main Content
Photographic guide to selected external defect indicators and associated internal defects in black walnutAuthor(s): Everette D.Beaton John A. Rast; David L. Sonderman; David L. Sonderman
Source: Res. Pap. NE-617. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 24 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (8.17 KB)
DescriptionTo properly classify qr grade logs or trees, one must be able to correctly identify defect indicators and assess the effect of the underlying defect on possible end products. This guide aids the individual in identifying the surface defect indicator and also shows the progressive stages of the defect throughout its develqpment for black walnut. It illustrates and describes 10 types of external defqct indicators and associated defects that are particularly difficult to evaluate.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRast, Everette D.Beaton John A.; Sonderman, David L. 1988. Photographic guide to selected external defect indicators and associated internal defects in black walnut. Res. Pap. NE-617. Broomall, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 24 p.
KeywordsDefect identification, photo guide, black walnut, quality assessment
- Internal defects associated with pruned and nonpruned branch stubs in black walnut
- Photographic guide of selected external defect indicators and associated internal defects in northern red oak
- Photographic guide of selected external defect indicators and associated internal defects in white oak
XML: View XML