Skip to Main Content
Using a Density-Management Diagram to Develop Thinning Schedules for Loblolly Pine PlantationsAuthor(s): Thomas J. Dean; V. Clark Baldwin
Source: Res. Pap. SO-275. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 12 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (180 KB)
DescriptionA method for developing thinning schedules using a density-management diagram is presented. A density-management diagram is a form of stocking chart based on patterns of natural stand development. The diagram allows rotation diameter and the upper and lower limits of growing stock to be easily transformed into before and after thinning densities. Site height lines on the diagram together with site index curves then allow the timing of thinnings to be specified. Intermediate and final harvest volumes are calculated with a growth and yield simulator capable of recovering the diameter distribution within the plantation. The development of thinning schedules by this method is illustrated for loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.) plantations.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDean, Thomas J.; Baldwin, V. Clark, Jr. 1993. Using a Density-Management Diagram to Develop Thinning Schedules for Loblolly Pine Plantations. Res. Pap. SO-275. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 12 p.
Keywordsmortality, Pinus taeda L., planting density, Reineke's stand density index
- Postthinning growth and yield of row-thinned and selectively thinned loblolly and slash pine plantations
- Simulation of dynamics of southern pine beetle hazard rating with respect to silvicultural treatment and stand development
- Visual Basic Growth-and-Yield Models With A Merchandising Optimizer For Planted Slash and Loblolly Pine in the West Gulf Region
XML: View XML