Skip to Main Content
Influence of board density, mat construction, and chip type on performance of particleboard made from eastern redcedarAuthor(s): Zhiyong Cai; Qinglin Wu; Jong N. Lee; Salim Hiziroglu
Source: Forest products journal. Vol. 54, no. 12 (Dec. 2004): pages 226-232.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (113 KB)
DescriptionThe purpose of this study was to investigate mechanical and physical performances of particleboard made from low-value eastern redcedar trees. The properties evaluated included bending strength and stiffness, swelling, surface hardness, and screw holding capacity as a function of processing variables (i.e., density, chip type, and board construction). Two types of chips (whole tree and pure wood), two types of mat constructions (single- and three-layer), and four different density levels (0.4, 0.5, 0.65, and 0.75 g/cm3) were used in manufacturing the test panels. Board density and mat construction type were found to have major influences on board properties while chip type had no significant effect on the properties. The results showed that with some improvements in process parameters and processing techniques, low-grade eastern redcedar has a future as a particleboard furnish in the manufacture of marketable products.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCai, Zhiyong; Wu, Qinglin; Lee, Jong N.; Hiziroglu, Salim 2004. Influence of board density, mat construction, and chip type on performance of particleboard made from eastern redcedar. Forest products journal. Vol. 54, no. 12 (Dec. 2004): pages 226-232.
KeywordsBoard density, mat construction, and chip type, particleboard, eastern redcedar
- Impact of Pruning Eastern Redcedar (Juniperus virginiana)
- An annotated bibliography of eastern redcedar.
- Effects of treatment and seed source on germination of eastern redcedar seed
XML: View XML