Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
The Coosawhatchie Bottomland Ecosystem Study: A Report on the Development of Reference WetlandAuthor(s): Mark H. Eisenbies
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-38. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 64 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (3.7 MB)
DescriptionOnly 23 percent of the presettlement acreage of bottomland hardwood forests remains today, and the remaining forests have lost many of their original functions. To successfully manage these forests we must be able to compare their functional capacities with reference or model wetlands. This report contains the results of the Coosawhatchie Bottomland Ecosystem Study during Phase 1, 1994 through 1999--the baseline calibration period for development of the reference wetland. Information about the physical and community characteristics and the ecosystem processes is presented in 15 individual reports. Where possible, results from this site are compared with results from other sites, both within the Southern Forested Wetlands Initiative and from other bottomland hardwood research sites. Those who use this information should consider these results preliminary and are invited to contact the authors of each chapter for more detailed information about the methods, results, interpretations, and plans for participation in Phase II.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBurke, Marianne K.; Eisenbies, Mark H., eds. 2000. The Coosawhatchie Bottomland Ecosystem Study: A Report on the Development of Reference Wetland. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-38. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 64 p.
KeywordsBottomland hardwood, Coosawhatchie River, ecological processes, ecosystem study, neotropical migratory birds, reference wetland, wetland hydrology
- Influence of restoration and succession on bottomland hardwood hydrology
- Impacts of harvesting in wetlands; results from studies at Auburn University
- A Guide to Bottomland Hardwood Restoration
XML: View XML