Skip to Main Content
Earlywood and latewood elastic properties in loblolly pineAuthor(s): Steven Cramer; David Kretschmann; Roderic Lakes; Troy Schmidt
Source: Holzforschung. Vol. 59 (2005): pages 531-538.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (337 KB)
DescriptionThe elastic properties of earlywood and latewood and their variability were measured in 388 specimens from six loblolly pine trees in a commercial plantation. Properties measured included longitudinal modulus of elasticity, shear modulus, specific gravity, microfibril angle and presence of compression wood. Novel testing procedures were developed to measure properties from specimens of 1 mm=1mm=30 mm from earlywood or latewood. The elastic properties varied substantially circumferentially around a given ring and this variation was nearly as large as the variation across rings. The elastic properties varied by ring and height, but while the modulus of elasticity increased with height, the shear modulus decreased with height. A strong correlation was found between modulus of elasticity and shear modulus, but only at low heights and inner rings. Specific gravity and microfibril angle were the strongest predictors of elastic properties and explained 75% of the variation in modulus of elasticity for latewood. Despite being the best predictors in this study, these parameters accounted for less than half of the variability of earlywood modulus of elasticity, earlywood shear modulus and latewood shear modulus.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCramer, Steven; Kretschmann, David; Lakes, Roderic; Schmidt, Troy. 2005. Earlywood and latewood elastic properties in loblolly pine. Holzforschung. Vol. 59 (2005): pages 531-538.
KeywordsEarlywood, latewood, loblolly pine, modulus of elasticity, shear modulus, tree rings
- Selected mesostructure properties in loblolly pine from Arkansas plantations
- Mechanical Properties of Individual Southern Pine Fibers. Part II. Comparison of Earlywood and Latewood Fibers with Respect to Tree Height and Juvenility
- Mechanical properties of individual southern pine fibers. Part II. Comparison of earlywood and latewood fibers with respect to tree height and juvenility
XML: View XML