Skip to Main Content
Advancing sustainable forestry by using engineered wood or bio-compositesAuthor(s): Jerrold E. Winandy
Source: IAWPS 2005 : International Symposium on Wood Science and Technology : Pacifico Yokohama, Japan : November 27-30, 2005: pages 104-105.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (40 KB)
DescriptionAs worldwide demand for timber and bio-fiber resources grows, sustainable resource management and industrial utilization must collaborate to develop a shared vision for both long-term sustainable management of forest and bio-resources and sustainable economic development. Engineered wood- and bio-composites offer a tool that can both achieve resource sustainability and meet user needs in our ever-more affluent societies and for our growing populations . Biocomposite technology provides a tool for resource managers because it can add value to low- or no-value fiber resources and thereby promote demand for diverse bio-fiber feed-stocks including small-diameter timber, fast plantation-grown timber, removals of exotic-invasive species, removals of hazardous forest-fuels, and agricultural residues. At the same time, engineered wood composite serve as a tool for economic development of rural communities and provide for value-added commodity and non-traditional products. Wood composite technologies promote value-added uses for under-valued or waste materials.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWinandy, Jerrold E. 2005. Advancing sustainable forestry by using engineered wood or bio-composites. IAWPS 2005 : International Symposium on Wood Science and Technology : Pacifico Yokohama, Japan : November 27-30, 2005: pages 104-105.
KeywordsEngineered wood, biocomposites, sustainable forestry
- Opportunities for using bio-based fibers for value-added composites
- Using wood composites as a tool for sustainable forestry
- Wood fiber supply and demand in the United States.
XML: View XML