Skip to Main Content
ICT and the paperboard and packaging industryAuthor(s): Peter Ince; Sanna Kallioranta; Richard Vlosky
Source: Information technology and the forest sector. Vienna, Austria : IUFRO, c2005. IUFRO world series ; vol. 18.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (312 KB)
DescriptionThe purpose of this chapter is to describe the reasons for the development of ICT and e-business systems in the paper and paperboard packaging industry and to discuss future scenarios that may serve to guide forest- sector research in this topical area. The paper and paperboard packaging industry encompasses producers of primary paper and paperboard packaging materials (paper and paperboard mills) plus secondary producers who convert paper or paperboard into packaging products, such as corrugated containers, boxes, sacks, or other forms of paper or paperboard packaging. Some firms in the industry are vertically integrated, being both primary paper or paperboard producers and secondary converters. Beyond general reasons for the development of ICT and e-business systems, the chapter focuses on ICT and e-business developments that are unique to the packaging industry, for instance, the ongoing development of “active” or “intelligent” packaging systems. Several hypotheses are explored regarding the market consequences of ICT developments for primary paper or paperboard producers, leading to a set of speculative future scenarios. Forest sector research needs are identified in relation to those market scenarios, including the need for 1) economic models to evaluate market impacts of ICT and e-business developments and 2) research on how to identify and take full advantage of ICT and e-business applications in the context of competitive corporate strategies.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationInce, Peter; Kallioranta, Sanna; Vlosky, Richard. 2005. ICT and the paperboard and packaging industry. Information technology and the forest sector. Vienna, Austria : IUFRO, c2005. IUFRO world series ; vol. 18.
KeywordsICT, paperboard, packaging, e-business systems, paper
- Cultivating connections in 2012 -- web strategies used by forest products businesses in the southern U.S.
- The North American Forest Sector Outlook Study 2006-2030
- Market opportunities for kitchen cabinets made from Alaska hardwoods: a synthesis and review of recent research.
XML: View XML