Skip to Main Content
Age and gender classification of Merriam's turkeys from foot measurementsAuthor(s): Mark A. Rumble; Todd R. Mills; Brian F. Wakeling; Richard W. Hoffman
Source: In: Dickson, James G., ed. Proceedings of the Seventh National Wild Turkey Symposium : 24-26 May, 1995, Rapid City, South Dakota. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books: 129-134
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.4 MB)
DescriptionWild turkey sex and age information is needed to define population structure but is difficult to obtain. We classified age and gender of Merriam’s turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo merriami) accurately based on measurements of two foot characteristics. Gender of birds was correctly classified 93% of the time from measurements of middle toe pads; correct classification of age and gender combined decreased to 78%. Measurements from the middle toenail to heel pad correctly classified gender 98% of the time; correct classification of age and gender of birds was 94%. An independent test of this technique on Merriam’s turkeys from Colorado using measurements of the middle toe pads correctly classified the gender of Merriam’s 99% of the time; gender and age combined were correctly classified only 50% of the time.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRumble, Mark A.; Mills, Todd R.; Wakeling, Brian F.; Hoffman, Richard W. 1996. Age and gender classification of Merriam''s turkeys from foot measurements. In: Dickson, James G., ed. Proceedings of the Seventh National Wild Turkey Symposium : 24-26 May, 1995, Rapid City, South Dakota. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books: 129-134
KeywordsMerriam's turkeys, Meleagris gallopavo merriami, age, gender, sex, foot morphology
- Merriam's turkey poult survival in the Black Hills, South Dakota
- Microhabitats of Merriam's turkeys in the Black Hills, South Dakota
- Poult adoption in Merriam's wild turkeys
XML: View XML