Skip to Main Content
Applications of polyamide/cellulose fiber/wollastonite composites for microcellular injection moldingAuthor(s): Herman Winata; Lih-Sheng Turng; Daniel F. Caulfield; Tom Kuster; Rick Spindler; Rod Jacobson
Source: ANTEC 2003 : annual technical conference : May 4-8, Nashville, Tennessee : conference proceedings. Brookfield, Conn. : Society of Plastics Engineers, c2003: pages 701-705.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (207 KB)
DescriptionIn this study, a cellulose-fiber-reinforced Polyamide-6 (PA-6) composite, a hybrid composite (PA-6/cellulose/Wollastonite), and the neat PA-6 resin were injection molded into ASTM test–bar samples with conventional and microcellular injection molding. The impact and tensile strengths of molded samples were measured and the Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) images were taken at the fracture surfaces. The effects of filler systems and the introduction of microcellular structure on the impact and tensile strengths were studied. It was found that the cellulose fibers and the cellulose/Wollastonite fillers improve the tensile strength and tensile modulus. In addition, the microcellular injection molded neat resin exhibits a higher impact strength than that of the conventionally molded solid part. However, a reduction in tensile strength was observed with both of the filled composites when molded with microcellular injection molding. This could be attributed to microcells at the interface of cellulose fibers and the polymer matrix.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWinata, Herman; Turng, Lih-Sheng; Caulfield, Daniel F.; Kuster, Tom; Spindler, Rick; Jacobson, Rod. 2003. Applications of polyamide/cellulose fiber/wollastonite composites for microcellular injection molding. ANTEC 2003 : annual technical conference : May 4-8, Nashville, Tennessee : conference proceedings. Brookfield, Conn. : Society of Plastics Engineers, c2003: pages 701-705.
KeywordsWollastonite, polyamide fibers, cellulose fibers, injection molding of plastics, scanning electron microscopy, fibrous composites, fiber reinforced plastics, composite materials, tensile strength, cellulose fibers, impact tests
- Applications of nanocomposites and woodfiber plastics for microcellular injection molding
- Study of injection molded microcellular polyamide-6 nanocomposites
- Impact toughness of cellulose-fiber reinforced polypropylene : influence of microstructure in laminates and injection molded composites
XML: View XML