Skip to Main Content
Analysis of orthotropic beamsAuthor(s): Jen Y. Liu; S. Cheng
Source: Research Paper FPL-RP-343. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 37 pages
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (228 KB)
DescriptionA plane-stress analysis of orthotropic or isotropic beams is presented. The loading conditions considered are: (1) a concentrated normal load arbitrarily located on the beam, and (2) a distributed normal load covering an arbitrary length of the beam. exhibit close agreement with existing experimental data from Sitka spruce beams. Other loading conditions can similarly be considered. Numerical results based on the present analysis exhibit close agreement with existing experimental data from Sitka spruce beams.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLiu, Jen Y.; Cheng, S. 1979. Analysis of orthotropic beams. Research Paper FPL-RP-343. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 37 pages
KeywordsBeams, strength, strains, stresses, deformations, wooden beams, orthotropic materials, Picea sitchensis, deflection, shear
- House log drying rates in southeast Alaska for covered and uncovered softwood logs
- Growth and yield of sitka spruce and western hemlock at Cascade Head Experimental Forest, Oregon.
- Growth of historical Sitka spruce plantations at Unalaska Bay, Alaska.
XML: View XML